Reasons for the migration
- Costs – I pay less than the half for the new server.
- „Debian oldstable“ – the old server was still running on an Debian 7.9; the new one runs Debian 8.3.
- HostEurope is currently moving his servers from Germany to another location and at least one customer I know reported packetloss for Telekom customers. The location of my new server is Frankfurt.
- My Mumble server is now reachable with IPv6 and IPv4 :)
- Hopefully better IO speed (SSD) – on the old server the Murmur database was stored inside a ramdisk because the IO was so bad that switching channels was very slow.
How I migrated
I use Ansible to configure my servers so all I had to do was to run the Ansible playbook once, then copy some data, import SQL-Databases, reboot the system and everything was done :)
Of course it needs a lot of preparation to write the playbook; but then you can set up a new server within 10 Minutes.
What do you need to change?
If you are a user of my server you don’t need to change anything. You already use the new server.
Information about the Server
Some information about my Mumble server can be found here.